May 31, 2018
The Regional Environmental Center – Country Office Macedonia (REC COM) held the sixth meeting of the Work Group (WG) for the project „STABILIZING GREENHOUSE GAS EMISSIONS FROM ROAD TRANSPORT THROUGH DOUBLING OF GLOBAL VEHICLE FUEL ECONOMY: REGIONAL IMPLEMENTATION OF THE (GLOBAL FUEL ECONOMY INITIATIVE – GFEI)“ on May 31, 2018. Twenty members or representatives of the WG, REC representatives, non-governmental environmental organizations, AMSM, City of Skopje and national experts engaged for the needs of the project, were present on the sixth meeting of the WG.
The sixth meeting of the WG was held in the frames of the regular project activities and had as a scope, presentation of the progress of development and implementation of the measures from the draft National Fuel Economy:
- Promotion of the signed Memorandum of Cooperation with the Customs Administration of the Republic of Macedonia and the Regional Environmental Center for Central and Eastern Europe, Country Office Macedonia (REC), dated May 16, 2018, for the technical assistance of the REC for the Customs Administration of the Republic of Macedonia towards the development of a methodology for the calculation of the vehicle taxation, which will be used during the preparation of the Draft Law on Vehicle Taxation,
- Revision of the terms of reference for the establishment of a registered vehicles data exchange platform (draft terms of reference for a software solution) in the Customs Administration of the Republic of Macedonia, that will mark the СО2 emissions of each imported vehicle and which information will be submitted also to other national institutions that have the need of this data,
- Presentation of the terms of reference for the development of feasible financial mechanisms for subventions of an “environmental“ transportation, with the final goal to:
- Allocate the revenues of the revised vehicle taxation towards subventions of the measures from the Fuel Economy on fuel consumption
- Proposal of at least 2 possible financial long-term mechanisms (subventions and/or investments)
- Elaboration of legal procedures for the establishment of the adopted financial mechanisms
- Preparation of operation procedures and defined stakeholders for the functioning of the adopted financial mechanisms
- Proposal of partnerships between banks, distribution entities and the government for the establishment of low credit lines
- Presentation of draft questionnaires for drivers and importers of vehicles with which we will gather information from the stakeholders on the proposed policy for reforms of the vehicle taxation and subventions of environmentally friendly transportation.