REC Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia has been present in the country through a local coordinator since July 1993, and the country office officially began operations in January 1995. The REC's development programmes have been designed to promote the following key processes:
- integrated waste management planning and public procurement (innovative competitive tendering towards private sector participation in waste management);
- strategic environmental assessment;
- integrated water resources planning;
- public participation in decision making on environmental protection issues;
- cooperation between NGOs, the government, local authorities, the business sector and other stakeholders; and
- raising public awareness of environmental issues and education for sustainable development.
The REC's methodology encourages:
- local solutions to local environmental problems and a broader-based approach to regional problems; and
- an integrated approach to addressing environmental problems in a sustainable manner.
The country office's programmes and projects help to strengthen the knowledge and capacities of individuals and organisations contributing to the solving of environmental problems in the region.
- Waste and wastewater management
- Grants management (NGOs and local authorities)
- Capacity building
- Environmental information and public participation
- Environmental impact assessments (EIA) and strategic environmental assessments (SEA)
- Local biodiversity action plans (LBAPs) and local environmental action plans (LEAPs)
- Environmental education
- Environmental financing
- Energy saving and energy efficiency